Hi guys. If you have been following my blog you’ll know that I have been experimenting with tiered link building for a little while.
It’s not something I’d do for clients or on my own long term websites, but became intrigued after reading a little about it last year.
I think it was Jacob King that peaked my interest initially, with God Over You and Mathew Woodward providing some background theory and tutorials. I have not followed any particular method, instead I just absorbed what was being said and put my own interpretation on it.
At the end of last year I built a site purely with the intention of trying to rank it using tiered link building.
A few weeks ago I began to build links to it…
Here is what I did:
- Bought a partial match .com domain – exact match + extra keyword. No hyphens.
- Set up a WordPress site. Made a few tweaks to give it authority.
- Added 10 x PLR articles in niche – no rewrites, all duplicate content. Linked out to authority sites on each article and added images.
- Found top performing 3 products in niche
- Did keyword research to find 4 money terms with volume. One highly competitive (12000 exacts a month) and 3 medium competition terms with 500/1000 exact matches a month. I already have a site in this niche so used existing data.
- Wrote one piece of original content at around 1500 words and put it on the homepage. All based on top 3 products with visual aids. Built in the 4 keywords into the on page SEO using Title, H1 & H2 and Meta Description. No keyword stuffing in content, Just a natural article.
- Left the site for a month or two (Christmas break and other projects).
- Copied 3 x product reviews from other sites and added as new pages. Chopped it about a bit.
- Used Kontent Machine 3 to generate content for every Tier’s data fields and articles.
- Fired up a fresh copy of GSA Search Engine ranker and began building Tier One links. I set Tier One to Do Follow and Contextual targets only. No videos or adult content. No PR preference, just 0 – 10.
- Added GSA Captcha Breaker, Death by Captcha and Askmebot.
- After the first set of verified links became available I immediately began building a Tier Two to them of the same link types.
- And again for the Tier Three.
- I then started firing blog comments and other shitty links at all but Tier One.
- Tier One had a few comments thrown at it and maybe a few directories. I stopped it early on in the run as I panicked when I saw how poor the quality was.
- I then set up SerEngines, a GSA addon and started building out a new Tier One of Web 2.0s.
- I copied out the Tier Two & Threes with some crappy secondary ones as well.
- Fiddled with GSA SER everyday trying to learn how to use it at the same time adding scraped site lists to clean up and add. Each time I changed the settings. I was focussing on building a verified site list more than anything for my next projects.
- After two weeks I had around 70,000 links built in the whole Tiered structure. There is some real crap in there plus a few .gov and .edu gems in Tier One.
- Today, after 2/3 weeks of building links it suddenly ranks in position 1 to 3 for the medium money terms – still nowhere for the big money term. However, even my legit site in the same niche cannot rank for this term.
- Site takes $150 so far today 🙂
Here are the charts from Rank Tracker:
The site ranked on the 3rd page, positions 25 or so after the site was built and indexed with no links whatsoever.
As you can see they all took a very similar journey. I was taking daily readings then left it over the weekend to come back to this jump from page 2 to top of page 1.
I was alerted to a change when the affiliate commission alerts started to come in. 🙂
Here is a screen grab of the Tiers that were built:
The only page that ranks in Google is the homepage. The copied review pages have moved from 80th to 50th. But they were only added a week ago as an after thought.
Bing and yahoo rank me as well but very little traffic comes from them. No surprises there really.
Basically this site has one page of unique content! I am a lazy marketeer, what can I say.
Anyway, I have put this post together very quickly so I can share with you. There was a bit more going on but that is the crux of it.
This was done with a fresh copy of GSA Search Engine Ranker with no site lists, auto spun, scraped content for link building and all duplicate site content except the homepage.
I did use some auto spun articles on my Web2.0’s that came from iWriter. I them lying around as were too poor to use on another site.
So does tiered link building still work? My initial thoughts are yes.
Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions – open to anything!